We like to share here at Sustainable 9. We don’t believe that there can only be one sustainable home builder. In fact, in addition to designing and building eco-friendly homes for our clients, we also try and educate others on the benefits of investing in a sustainable home.
That’s why we have our Sustainable Home Features series on our blog. Today, we’ll highlight the extremely functional, durable, and environmentally conscious H Windows.
We’ll break down what makes these windows such a great detail to include in your next home.
Of Scandinavian Descent
We’re big proponents of Scandinavian design, especially because it blends so well with our sustainable mindset.
H Windows happens to hail from Norway, and while they are still on the up and up here in the States, they have been immensely popular over in Norway for over three decades. Unique in their function, the H Windows revolve a full 180 degrees for easy cleaning and maintenance without intruding into the room.
Today, H Windows are available here in the US through H Window Industries’ manufacturing outpost located in Wisconsin.
If there is one thing you can count on from a product that derives from the Scandinavian region, it’s that the technology behind the product will lead to outstanding performance.
The H Window consistently outperforms other window styles in test after test.
According to their website, the H Window scores better on 50 mph air infiltration tests than most windows do with 25 mph gusts.
The high performance of the windows is due to the design of the hinge, which allows an uninterrupted perimeter seal.
Amazingly, the harder the wind is blowing, and the more force the window is taking, the tighter the H Window becomes. This makes it the perfect addition to any S9 Home, where functionality and style come together effortlessly.
Additional performance measurements
- Structural Performance: 105 PSF (205 mph wind)
- Industry rating: AW 70 (*higher ratings available upon request)
- Sound attenuation: STC 28-46 based on type and glass used
- Forced entry level: 40 (highest in the industry)
- Field tests proving superior performance after installation
Features and Benefits of H Windows
Extruded Aluminum Exterior
The exterior of the window is a sturdy extruded aluminum that reinforces the strength of the windows.
- Free maintenance
- Structurally stronger than aluminum-clad windows
- Available in five standard powder coat colors (white, brown, tan, green, and crème) or choose from a variety of anodized finishes or custom colors
The standard interiors for the windows are pine and oak, which go well with a variety of interior design layouts.
- Custom stains or paints are also available
- Available with custom woods like maple, cherry, mahogany, and more
- Excellent thermal performance
- Warms up the environment of the interior
- Available unfinished for field finishing, primed white for painting, or with a factory applied finish in 11 standard stain colors
The insulating glass features a high-performing low-E coating for top-tier thermal performance and UV protection.
- Only two glass surfaces to clean
- Available in a double or triple pane, and with a
variety of custom glass options
H Window Hinging Systems
The hinging system will last a lifetime and allows the window to seal on a flat plane, which allows for superior air and water tightness.
- Allows for easy cleaning
- The projected hinge offers ventilation in inclement weather
and provides a softer ventilation
- The traditional casement hinge has the same unique reversible
function as the awning style hinge
H Window Push-Bar Operating Hardware
The H Window Push Bar Operating Hardware meets the requirements outlined in the American Disabilities Act with less than five pounds of operating force.
- Easy, effortless operation
- Multiple ventilating positions – Incorporates a full-width locking
rod for tight sealing and allows the window to have the industry’s
highest security rating against forced entry
- Meets most fire egress codes without a special type of
hardware or special operating knowledge
- Also available with roto-crank, custodial, or Euro-style hardware
The unique design capabilities of the windows allow them to be built exactly to your specifications.
- Unique design capabilities with the largest operating windows available
- Jamb extensions and interior trim are available
- Exterior extruded aluminum panning system available for a totally
maintenance-free exterior in commercial replacement applications
Make sure to check back often on our blog for our next Sustainable Home Features post!
BUILD YOUR DREAM HOME
A custom-built home means you don’t have to sacrifice the details that make your home one-of-a-kind. View our award-winning work and get inspired.